Marine Engineering interview questions and answers :-
1.What is motor bike c.c.?
2.How the priming is done in a centrifugal pumps?
As centrifugal pump is not a self priming pump,separate priming arrangement is required…generally,a separate axial pump is provided for this purpose.The discharge v/v of the centrifugal pump is closed,and the inlet v/v is opened.The discharge v/v is opened only after the pump is primed,that is filled with the liquid to be pumped.
3.What is the different between gate valve and globe valve?
Gate valve is non regulator means full close or full open positions only, while globe valve is regulator.
4.What is the purpose of o-ring, wearings in the centrifugal pumps?
O-ring : to prevent leakage between metal parts while allowing some movement between them wear ring : generally a softer material than the parent material , employed to wear out quickly than the parent metal thereby avoiding loss of parent metal
5.what is the difference between Mitsui MAN b&w and Hitachi MAN b&w engines?
Design and system wise absolutely no difference. Only the license manfacturer is different. mitsui and Hitachi
kawasaki Diawoo are the different license holders for Man B&W for making the engines
6.How will we know, without opening anything,that an engine is 2S or 4S?
by the arrangement of the valves …in two stroke exhaust valve is situated at the top(i.e cylinder head) and there are scavenge ports at the bottom in modern diesel engine…whereas in four stoke the exhaust and inlet is situated at the cylinder head.
7.How the power has taken from a large marine generator to the msb?
The 440v generated by the generator can be taken to the MSB via busbars. associated with preferential trips, overload protections
8.What is the meaning of code number which is given on bearing?
bearing number ia 6205z:
6 stands for the type of bearing , ie, deep groove ball bearing
2 standa for the the OD and width (thickness) of the bearing
05 stands for the ID of the bearing ie, 05 x 4= 20 mm bore;
9.In ship cranes, there is a provision of providing a conveyor for the cable. There is no provision of slip ring.How is it possible?
There r Slip ring arrangement in cranes onboard ships. the slip rings are present within the crane which is not seen from outside. the power lines pass throough the centre of the crane through slip rings. The power line u see out side is only for grab which comes through the torsion clutch. If there is no slip ring arrangement the crane cannot turn 360 degrees.
10.Which country level having below the means sea level?
11.What does 7L67GFCA stands forin a marine engine MITSUI B&W 7L67GFCA?
7L 67GFCA Means that the engine have seven in-line units (cylinders)with 67centimeter of Liner diameter,water cooled and super charged cross head engine.
12.What is high temperature corrosion and what is center priming?
When material exposed to high temperature atmospehic situation like high level of oxygen presence, sulfer
presence and different type chemical presence cause matrial worsening . This type of material corrosion is
known as High temperature corrosion
13.What is specific fuel consumption and how fuel calculate?
generally itï¿½s refer to the fuel consumtion rate, there are several deferent way to catlculate the specific fuel
consuption, such as volumetric method and flow method. but these methods can be taken only in lab. no possible do it on the sea.
14.How many types of ships?
Ships are divided into various types depending on their nature of service.
1. Cargo Ships (Bulk carriers, general cargo carriers,container vessels, oil tankers, chemical tankers, product tankers, gas carriers, Ro-Ro ships). Depending on their sizes they are again classified as handymax, panamax,suezmax, afromax, vlcc, ulcc, vloc, vlgc, etc.
2. Passenger Ships
3. Serivce ships, such as cable laying submarines, off shore supply vessels, dp vessels etc
4. Protection such as war ships, Navy submarines etc.
15.The place where happen iron losses?
In transformer case Core occurs iron loss (Eddy Current & Hysteresis Loss) Or No Load Loss in Electric Transformer.
16.How many ports are there in India?
there are 12 major ports and 181 minor port in india
MARINE Engineering Interview Questions and Answers :-
17. Describe the vibration of machinery which is not apparent
18. How can you explain that the vibration is transmitted from elastic materials or components to another?
19. What is the C.C in motorbikes?
20. Explain magnetic amplifier
21. How square root can be calculated from manometer?
22. Difference between MAN and REVERSING SYSTEM
23. What is large 2-stroke marine diesel engine turbocharger?
24. How the priming can be implemented in a centrifugal pump?
25. Difference between gate valve and globe valve?
26. Why o-ring, bearings are used in the centrifugal pumps?
27. Difference between Mitsui MAN and Hitachi MAN
28. Difference between RTA, RND & RD marine diesel engine
29. How you can distinguish between 2S and 4S engine?
30. How large marine generator supply power to the msb?
31. What is the meaning of code number which is given on bearing?
32. Which country level is below low sea level?
33. What does 7L67GFCA stands for in a marine engine MITSUI?
34. Can a computer flat screen hooked up to a fish finder?
35. What is slip?
36. What is the principal of axial pump?
37. What is high temperature corrosion?
38. What is centre priming?
39. What is specific fuel consumption?
40. How fuel consumption can be calculated?
41. Name different types of ships
42. Which place causes iron losses?
43. How many ports are there in India?
44. What is meant by the term Relative Density?
45. What is meant by Centre of Buoyancy?
46. Define angular acceleration
47. Define velocity ratio
48. What are the major responsibilities of a marine engineer?
49. Name different types of marine diesel engines
50. Draw the space diagram for a ten meter long beam simply supported at each end
51. Show the sinosoidial effect built in a generator with the help of a diagram
52. What is meant by ‘superheat’?
53. Describe the operation of bi-metallic sensor with the help of a diagram
54. Give an example each of a shipboard use of an adiabatic process and an isothermal process
55. What are the disadvantages and advantages of having a small amount of superheat for a refrigerant vapours entering the compressor suction?
56. Find the area of the disc at 62 C whose diameter is 3