DESKTOP ENGINEER Interview Questions with Answers :-
1) What is the benefit of Child Domain?
There are many benefits of Child Domain Such As:
- Security Boundary
- Administrative Overhead Low
- Network Traffic Low
2) What is path of Host File in Windows?
- path : C:WindowsSystem32driversetc
- where C: is a System root drive.
3) What is the work place in Desktop Engineer?
Desktop engineers work in office environments in most cases. Some companies require their engineers to travel between different work sites. There are remote support technologies that are allowing companies to cut down on their desktop engineer travel times, as common problems can be diagnosed and fixed over a remote connection.
4) What are the duties of desktop engineer?
A desktop engineer is used to set up the computer infrastructure needed for the business. This duty could be as simple as installing operating systems on a few office machines or as extensive as setting up a network of hundreds of computers. Desktop engineers install needed operating systems, software and hardware. Peripheral support for printers and servers might also fall under a desktop engineer’s control.
5) Who is Desktop Engineer?
Desktop engineers provide support and implementation services to business infrastructures. This job has a number of different titles. It could be called desktop systems engineer, desktop support, support technician, helpdesk engineer or desktop deployment engineer. Desktop engineers need to have extensive knowledge of the software used by the business, as well as the operating systems and hardware peripherals that may be in use.
6) What are the advancements in Desktop Engineer?
Desktop engineers can specialize in certain technologies or go into a management position over other desktop engineers. Advancement into other types of computer sciences such as programming or software design is also possible.
7) Explain Parrallel port?
Parallel port transmit data in parallel form. It is transfer data 8 bit at a time. It is faster then Serial port. Its a 25 pin female Connector .
8) Explain Serial Port?
Serial Port transmit data in a serial form. It transfer data one Bit at a time. It is transfer data one bit after another Bit. Its a Slower then parallel Port. its a 9 Pin or 25 Pin male connector.
9) Explain about operation master role?
Operation Master Role is available on Domain Controller in the Network. There are five types of operation master roles:
- Schema master
- Domain Naming Master
- RID Master
- PDC Emulator
- Infrastructure Master
10) Explain about site?
A site is a geographical area where all of the domains are available. Site manages the replication traffic between two or more different sites in the network.
11) Explain forest?
A group of tree is called forest and does not sharing a contiguous name space but sharing a common configuration (Schema).
12) Explain tree?
A group of domain is called tree and sharing a contiguous Name Space.
13) Explain NTFS?
NTFS stands for New Technology File Systems
–> There are three categories in NTFS file systems
1: NTFS 4.0- NT Operating Systems
2: NTFS 5.0- 2000 Operating Systems
3: NTFS 6.0- 2003 Operating Systems
–> In NTFS up to File level security is available
–> Compression option is available
–> Encryption option is available
–> Disk Quota Option is available
–> NTFS supported by only limited Microsoft Based Operating System
14) Explain FAT?
–> FAT Stands for File Allocation Table
–> There are three categories in FAT file system.
–> In FAT Not up to folder level security is available
–> Compression option is not available
–> Encryption Option is not available
–> Disk Quota Option is not available
–> FAT supported by all of the Microsoft Based Operating Systems.
15) Explain IAS Server?
IAS stands for Internet Authentication Services. IAS server is also known as RADIUS Server. IAS Server provides the centralized management of multiple RAS & VPN Server in the Network. On this Server Remote Access Policy and Remote Access logging options are available.
16) What is VPN Server?
VPN Stands for Virtual Private Network. It is basically use for mobile user in the network. This server provides the remote access connectivity for mobile user. In this way all of the mobile users are connected to server through internet. This server also provides the connectivity between two or more office in the network. VPN is cost effective (No Costly).
17) Tell me how do you feel about your abilities as a manager?
Focus on how you achieve results while maintaining good staff relations. Use examples of your successes and how you have learned from mistakes. Emphasize your energy and experience.
18) Identify a few Firewalls?
There are two basic types of firewall – network layer, which make decisions based on source and destination addresses, and application layer, which are hosts run on proxy servers and allow no direct traffic between networks. Comodo and Zone Alarm are two commonly used firewalls.
19) What is the purpose of BOOT.INI?
Boot.ini is used to decide which operating system options are displayed during the start-up process.
20) What components are needed to set up a Basic Home Network?
- LAN cards and
- LAN cables.
21) What are some versions of Windows XP?
- XP Professional,
- XP Home,
- Media Centre,
- Tablet PC and
22) List five Microsoft Office applications?
- MS Word,
- MS Excel,
- MS PowerPoint,
- MS Outlook and
- MS Access.
23) What does DHCP stand for and what is its purpose?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol – it assigns dynamic IP addresses to network devices allowing them to have a different IP address each time they are connected to the network.
24) What are some of the Ports available in a computer?
Common ports are: PS/2 ports, for keyboard and mouse. USB ports. Sound ports.LAN or Ethernet ports. VGA ports.
25) What are the lights on a Modem/LAN Card and what do they indicate?
The lights are:
- Power light – indicates if the power is on.
- Link light – indicates if the modem is receiving broadband or Internet signals from the ISP.
- Data light – indicates if the Internet is working.
- Connectivity light – indicates if the modem is connected to a computer.
26) If the audio for your computer is not working, what would you check?
Check the following: Speaker volume, cable connections, power to the speakers and device drivers.
27) Can you please explain the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It is used for the temporary storage of data that is being worked on. ROM is Read-Only Memory and is used for permanent storage of data that should never be changed, like BIOS for example.
28) Explain hard-disk partitions?
Hard disk partitions divide the hard disk drive into smaller segments to enable better space management. Each partition on the disk can then be considered as a separate disk allowing different file systems to be used on each.
29) What are the disadvantages of using imaging software?
This question is designed to test your familiarity with imaging software. Describe image testing and the attributes of particular software to show your familiarity with imaging.
30) Which desktop operating systems are you familiar with?
You will need to have familiarized yourself with the system used by the organisation you are hoping to join. Focus your answer on those systems, but also mention other systems with which you have experience.
31) Explain the purpose of Device Drivers?
Device Drivers are the software required to run hardware components.
32) What do you mean by NTLDR Error?
NTLDR is known as the Network Loader. It helps in loading the operating system. If any system is showing “NTLDR is missing” then you need to copy the NTLDR file from operating system CD.
33) What is the SysWOW64 folder?
It is normally found in a 64-bit OS, for example 64bit Win7. This folder is very similar to the system32 folder of the 32-bit OS.
34) Windows cannot currently check for updates, How to fix it?
–> Contact Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/
Please follow the steps below:
- Go to Run, type “services.msc” without quotes and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Update.
- Right click on Service and select Properties.
- In Start-up type, select Enable.
- Click Start under Service status.
- Click OK.
35) Windows cannot currently check for updates; what could be the possible reasons?
There could be two possible reasons:
- Missing/corrupted files
- Update services down
36) Explain some commonly used LAN cables. What is the maximum length of LAN cable for proper communication?
There are mainly two types:
- Cat 5 (Category 5 where 5 indicates twists per inch) & Cat 5e (5e indicates 5 twists per inch per pair which leads to reduced cross talk). Both Cat 5 & 5e are UTP cables that can support up to 100 Mbps.
- Cat 6 & 6e are UTP cables that can support up to 1 Gbps.
After about 80 meters (260 feet), you will usually see a reduction in speed.
37) What are some common sources of computer viruses and how can you prevent being infected?
Some common sources are Internet downloads, email attachments, and infected CDs/DVDs. You can use trusted anti-virus software and update it regularly. Make sure it checks every file on the computer. Backup your system periodically in case a major infection occurs, and be aware of all software and programs that run on your computer. Never click a suspicious link or download a suspicious file.
38) Can I make my hard disk dynamic?
Go to Run then type diskmgmt.msc. After that, right click on hard disk to convert a basic disk to dynamic disk.
Note: You should be logged in with an administrator account.
39) What is the blue screen of death?
A Blue Screen error is mainly due to hardware or software incompatibility within the system. The most common reasons for a Blue Screen of Death (BSD) are unwanted software installation, high CPU usage and faulty RAM. Try the following options.
- Pull out the RAM card, rub it with rubber on the chip side, and re-insert.
- If a BSD still occurs, try using that RAM on another system.
- Every BSD has a unique code; try searching it on Google to find a solution.
40) Which command is used to check IP configuration?
You can use ipconfig /all to display all of the current TCP/IP configuration values, including the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) and DNS configurations.
41) How do I edit my Boot.ini?
Open Run, type “msconfig” and press Enter to open System Configuration Utility. Select the tab labelled BOOT.INI. Click the button labelled Check All Boot Paths. A dialog box will open detailing the location of any invalid operating system locations.
42) What is the use of the BOOT.ini file?
Boot.ini files are required in booting Windows operating systems, starting with Windows NT. The boot.ini file also provides flexibility for dual booting multiple operating systems on the same computer.
43) How do I start in Safe Mode?
- Open Run, type “msconfig” and press Enter. A system configuration window will pop up; now go to the Boot tab, check the “Safe boot” box and select “Minimal” for a typical safe boot. Click Apply and your computer will boot into Safe Mode the next time it restarts.
- Reboot the computer. Start pressing the F8 key as soon as your system starts to boot. This will open multiple boot options including Safe Mode.
44) What is the use of Safe Mode? When should we use it in Windows?
Often, we have to start Windows in Safe Mode in order to remove spyware or for troubleshooting driver problems and other diagnostic purposes. Only specific programs and files with limited driver support are needed to run the operating system. This will allow you to attempt to remove viruses, change bad drivers and perform other diagnostic tasks that cannot be done in Normal Mode.
45) How do I find the path that a packet takes to its destination?
Using “tracert” command lets you see the path traveled by a packet to its destination.
46) What is a default gateway? What happens if I don’t have one?
A default gateway is a routing device used to forward all traffic that is not addressed to a destination within the local network or local sub-net. If you don’t have a default gateway, it is not possible to communicate with the network device/host of different networks. Dial-up internet connections do not require a default gateway though because it is present in the ISP itself.
47) What is DNS and why do we use it on workstations?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is used to resolve human-readable host names like www.globalguideline.com into machine-readable IP addresses like 22.214.171.124. The DNS address is configured on workstations. Windows redirects all domain names to resolve into IP addresses.
48) Why do we use DHCP?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is used to assign dynamic IP addresses to network devices, allowing them to have a different IP address each time they are connected to the network.
49) Which Windows OS are you most comfortable with?
This is a very basic question and you can prepare your answer by researching which OS version is used by the company you’re applying in. Be sure to do a little reading on the systems you are familiar with, so you can showcase your skills.
50) Tell me what other duties you undertook that were beyond the scope of your work. Have you interacted with the IT staff?
Communicate your ability to handle different tasks and challenges. Show how you are well versed with special systems and communicate with professionals in your area of expertise. Include coordinating with Information Technology professionals to enhance system communication, peripherals and network operation. You may also relate your experience in installing computer performance monitoring equipment.
51) Tell me have you been responsible for purchasing new computer systems for your organization?
If yes, explain how you’ve worked with vendors (suppliers) and with the procurement department. Explain methods used to assess future computer needs in the organization.
52) Did you generally work in a team to solve problems? Do you worked independently as well?
As a desktop engineer you must have the ability to work with others and alone. Describe how you have worked with your staff members to determine solutions to major issues. Impart as well your own individual assessments to identify minor failures and how you’ve used your communication skills to consult others for solutions to problems beyond your specialty.
53) Tell me have you trained or coached employees on computer systems?
If yes, report on the training programs you’ve designed and implemented for staff. Detail the manner in which you directed them regarding operation of computer hardware/software systems.
54) Tell us have you upgraded computer systems or offered recommendations on upgrades needed?
Describe a major upgrade in which you were heavily involved. A success story. Something you’re proud about. Explain the step taken to ensure smooth upgrade. Rehearse, don’t memorize; be clear and succinct.
55) Tell me about physical setting up of hardware and software systems installation for various applications and programs?
Relate your experience in installing and testing computer systems and ensuring their proper function.
56) Tell me have you tested network and desktop systems? Have you de-bugged computerized systems?
In your answer, describe the process you took to identify and solve problems that affect computer systems. Provide examples if necessary. Tell how you test/trouble-shoot computers to ensure they function properly.
57) Tell me what is your specialty? Have you provided desktop support for hardware, software or both?
Are you Microsoft/Cisco certified? If you are, give details. Speak about the procedures you follow to test/maintain equipment and software operation. Discuss any courses you have taken or manuals and processes you have studied, and more so, applied practically.
58) Tell me about your daily routine as a desktop engineer?
Relate examples of support to employees on their desktop systems, including network servers, desktop computers, printers, laptops etc.
59. How To Make The Desktop Icons Smaller Or Lager?
This is very simple on you main desktop just right click the mouse button in a blank space, then scroll down and click properties. You are at the display settings menu on the top bar you will see a tab that reads appearance, click on this tab.
Once you are at the appearance tab click the advanced button (it should be in the lower right corner) once you are at the advanced window, you will see a scroll down menu that has desktop displayed, click on this and scroll down to icons, now simply raise the font of the icon size and the icons will become larger, to raise the font of the text there is a bar underneath that, it will list the format the text is displayed in, to the right of that will be the size, you can also bold the text with the bold button on the right side of this bar.
60. If You Have Client In A Different Location And Want To Access That Client From Server, What Is The Best Way To Access That Client From Server?
if systems are on different servers then When we will us MSTSC (Remote Desktop Connection) to access system in different location then from the client system we will Remote Access to the Server and from Server we will Remotely Access the other location’s Server and from that server we will access the clients of that location.
Its the most reliable way. And if you have Internet access in network then you can use third party Remote Access Applications like TeamViewer. IN TeamViewer you can access any system directly through internet.
61. How Will You Install Operating System In More Than 50 Pc At A Time When The All Pcs Having Same Configuration?
First I install OS in one machine & default software if required than i will create one Ghost Image of that machine than I will make 49 copies of that Ghost Image DVD & run on all ramain PC, but for this you should be have ghost software & knowledge of ghost( how to make Ghost bootable DVD/CD & how to use that ) this is a 1 solution another is given below –
Installing over Network:
- Here You have to build one distribution server & copy OS’s i386 on Distribution Server & install the network client – this software allows the target computer to connect to distribution server .
- The setup programmed copies installation files to target computer & creates set up boot disk. After setup copy installation files you start the installation from set up boot disk.
62. How To Install A Pre Existing Printer On A Users Desktop?
Go to control panel and then go to add hardware wizard After that read all the options carefully. When system requires software for that, insert the software CD otherwise system will install automatically. Restart the system.
63. How To Go Straight To Your Desktop When You Reboot Rather Than Having To Login Every Time You Reboot Or Turn On Your Computer On?
First you right click on computer and then click on manage. at that time a window appear. Then go to local users and groups. Then the total users will appear. Then right click on user name what u r enter to in. click set password. Just click ok. Next time on words you will be taken directly to desktop without enter password.
64. How To Tell If The Print Spool In Running And Where Is It Located? Where Does It Store Spooled Print Jobs?
Print spooler is very important service in windows to use printer to print document on local printer or on network printer if this service stop by any reason printer not working on that pc so need to be start that service if print show print fails message .
And also if u r share any printer on win xp machine and trying to install it on another win7 pc many times it stop working while installing printer in shared network.
65. What Is Firewire Port? What Are Its Uses?
Firewire port is a form of Serial Port that make use of FireWire Technology to transfer data rapidly from one electronic device to another.
FireWire port has the ability to interact with a number of different devices. For example FireWire can provide an ideal way to connect a scanner with computer system. Because transfer rate in FireWire port can reach up to 400Mbps, the data transfer is relatively fast and also result in excellent quality.
66. What Is “bootloader”?
Bootloader facilitates the loading of operating system on the system. It enables the booting process and gives OS option to the users while starting the system.
67. What Is Blue Screen? What Would You Do If Your Pc Turns Into Blue Screen?
major problem is RAM first check with ram then go to safe mode scan your PC by using antivirus at the same time update drivers it should be mother board supported drivers or else use recommended software.
68. How To Hard Disk Dynamic?
goto run then type diskmgmt.msc after that you need to select hardisk then right click on it now you can convert it into basic disk to dynamic disk.
69. Explain How To Write A System Service File In Windows?
With Windows File Protection active, replacing or deleting a system file that has no file lock to prevent it getting overwritten causes Windows immediately and silently to restore the original copy of the file. The original version of the file is restored from a cached folder which contains backup copies of these files.
70. What Is The Technical Difference Between Desktop Support & Help Desk?
The difference between desktop support and helpdesk are the following:
- Desktop support is the one doing the troubleshooting on hand.
- Helpdesk support is the one receiving the call and troubleshoot it remotely.
71. How To Make Desktop Icons Appear Larger?
Right click on desktop. Go to properties and then click on appearance tab. Then further click on effects tab. A window will open. Select the use large option. Then click on apply OK. Thats it.
72. What Is Tft?
TFT-LCD (Thin Film Transistor-Liquid Crystal Display) is a variant of Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) which uses Thin-Film Transistor (TFT) technology to improve image quality.
TFT LCD is one type of active matrix LCD, though it is usually synonymous with LCD. It is used in both flat panel displays and projectors. In computing, TFT monitors are rapidly displacing competing CRT technology, and are commonly available in sizes from 12 to 30 inches.
73. What Is Lcd?
A liquid crystal display (commonly abbreviated LCD) is a thin, flat display device made up of any number of color or monochrome pixels arrayed in front of a light source or reflector.
It is prized by engineers because it uses very small amounts of electric power, and is therefore suitable for use in battery-powered electronic devices.
74. What Is The Ip Range In Networking Side? How Do We Troubleshoot Outlook? How Do We Configure Ldap On Outlook?
I am hoping I am submitting the correct answer. IP range in networking side is related to DHCP and Address pools. Ex: 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.200 -> Can be defined as address range allowed to distribute and 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.9 are restricted to distribute to client computers.
LDAP on outlook can be configured through Tools menu->Account settings-Address books-Select new address book->Select LDAP address book->in next window add server details.
75. Explain What Is Reservation?
Basically the term “Reservation” is used in DHCP server. Some network equipment or computer system needs a specific IP address, in such case we make a reservation in DHCP server for that particular computer system. By creating reservation it gives access to that particular IP address and at the same time prevents other computer system to use that IP address.