Desktop Support Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is BIOS an acronym for?
A. bootstrap initial operating system
B. basic input output startup
C. boot initial operating startup
D. basic input output system
2. Which of the following retains the information it’s storing when the power to the system is turned off?
3. Which physical connection is the fastest?
A. twisted pair
B. coaxial cable
4. A collection of 8 bits is called ?
5. Which Component of pc maintains data and time ?
A. CMOS RAM
C. DB RAM
6. Each computer on the Internet has a unique numeric address called a(n)
A. domain address
B. protocol address
C. IP address
D. Web address
7. What type of connector is used to plug a telephone line into a modem?
8. Data is transmitted using light through a ____ cable.
A. twisted pair
9. Which of the following is the address of the router?
A. The IP address
B. The TCP address
C. The subnet mask
D. The default gateway
10. The first step in troubleshooting many problems is to verify which of the following?
A. The subnet mask is valid
B. TCP/IP is installed correctly on the client
C. The WINS server is running
D. The BDC is operable
11. Which of the following TCP/IP protocol is used for transferring electronic mail messages from one machine to another?
12. What device separates a single network into two segments but lets the two segments appear as one to higher protocols?
13.The slowest transmission speeds are those of
A. twisted-pair wire
B. coaxial cable
C. fiber-optic cable
14. Two or more computers connected so that they can communicate with each other and share information is called a
15. What type of hard disk formatting creates FAT (File Allocation Table) ?
A. high level
B. low level
C. minimum level
D. maximum level
16. What is different between AT and ATX power supplies?
A. They are identical except for their shape.
B. AT supplies use a single P1 power connector while ATX uses P8 and P9.
C. AT supplies use P8 and P9 power connectors while ATX uses a single P1 connector.
D. AT power supplies run on 120V AC current while ATX uses 220V AC
17. What part of 192.168.10.51 is the Network ID, assuming a default subnet mask?
D. None of the above
18. What are the four key functions of a computer system?
A. input, processing, output, and storage
B. keyboard, display, memory, and disk drive
C. word processing, spreadsheets, database
D. bits, bytes, words, and OSI
19. Which of the following best illustrates the default subnet mask for a class A,B, and C Network?
A. 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.1, 0.0.1.1
B. 255.255.255.0, 255.255.0.0, 255.0.0.0
C. 255.0.0.0, 255.255.0.0, 255.255.255.0
D. 255.255.0.0, 255.255.255.0, 255.255.255.255
20. Your company has a LAN in its downtown office and has now set up a LAN in the manufacturing plant in the suburbs. To enable everyone to share data and resources between the two LANs, what type of device(s) are needed to connect them? Choose the most correct answer.
21. Which of the following device is used to connect two systems, especially if the systems use different protocols?
22. Sending a file from your personal computer’s primary memory or disk to another computer is called:
C. logging on
D. hang on
23. The transmission medium that carries the message is referred to as the
A. send and receive device
B. communication channel
24. Which of the following is NOT a type of motherboard expansion slot?
25. What does FDISK do?
A. performs low-level formatting of the hard drive
B. fixes bad sectors on the hard drive
C. recovers lost clusters on the hard drive
D. creates partitions on the hard drive
26. Fragmentation of data on computer hard disk causes it to work faster than before?
27. Frames from one LAN can be transmitted to another LAN via the device
D. None of the above
28. Because the configuration information for a DHCP client is received dynamically, you must use which utility to read the current configuration to verify the settings?
29. Which of the following condition is used to transmit two packets over a medium at the same time?
D. None of the above
30. Any device that is connected to a network is called a
31. This wireless standard is widely used to connect computers to each other and to the Internet.
32. Which of the following is NOT a type of RAM?
33. What can greatly reduce TCP/IP configuration problems?
A. WINS Server
B. WINS Proxy
C. DHCP Server
34. Which frequency is a SDRAM clock speed?
35. LCD monitor is also known as___________
36. Which of the following is used for modulation and demodulation?
37. Connectivity is a concept related to
A. transmitting information, either by computer or by phone
B. the interconnections within a computer
C. using computer networks to link people and resources
D. using computer networks to link people and resources
38. One of the most dramatic changes in connectivity and communications in the past five years or so has been ____.
A. mobile or wireless telephones
B. public and private discussion
C. satellite uplinks
D. running programs on remote computers
39. That kind of connectors are used to connect a PC power supply to a hard drive?
40. The rules for exchanging data between computers are called
B. synchronous packages
D. data transmission synchronization
41. IRQ 1 is commonly assigned to:
A. it’s usually open
B. system timer
C. real time clock
42. A credit card-sized expansion board that is inserted into portable computers that connects the PC to the telephone wall jack is called what?
A. Internal modem
B. External modem
C. PC Card modem
D. Wireless modem
43. The four basic elements of any communication system include
A. peer-to-peer, videoconferencing, online photo-conferencing, net optical
B. sending and receiving devices, communication channel, connection device, and data transmission specifications
C. telephone lines, coaxial cables, fiber-optics cables, and communication channel
D. software, hardware, communication channel, network
44. Data stored in a ROM can be changed by user of a computer?
45. How many pins does a SIMM have?
46. Most Web-enabled devices follow a standard known as
47. Today’s PC use, DDR SDRAM type of RAM..?
48. Processors of all computers, whether micro, mini or mainframe must have ?
B. file unit
C. copy unit
D. All of above
49. Portable Pen Drive connects to the________port of computer
A. Possible correct answers:
50. What is the name of the card that controls read,write head and motor in the hard disk ?
A. Network Card
C. Disc Controller Card
D. Network Controller Card
51. A computer’s operating system (OS) performs all of the following functions except:
A. Accessing data storage devices
B. Executing compiled programs
C. Managing memory
D. Editing sound files
52. Which of the following programs exists in a base installation Windows 98, but not Windows XP.
53. Select the fastest latency for a network ping
54. If, while trying to run a new software title, you get the error message “Access Denied” and the program fails to launch, where would you look for the problem?
A. In the flash drive
B. In the device drivers
C. In the integrity of the resident memory
D. In the file permissions
E. In the user’s profile
55. As you are walking down the hallway to help an important client with a trouble ticket they submitted, one of your coworkers rushes up to you and begs you to help them install some software on their computer. The appropriate answer is:
A. “Be right there!”
B. “Do you have a license for me to install the software?”
C. “I’m sorry, but I’m on my way to help out Mr/s. X. If you put in a ticket, I’ll be sure to look for it when I’m done and get to you ASAP.”
D. “Can this wait until tomorrow? I’m very busy right now.”
E. “As soon as I help Mr/s. X I’ll be right with you!”
56. True or False. If you don’t know the answer or solution to a technical question or problem, your first resource should be the person in the office next to you.
57. In technology, GPL usually stands for
A. General Protection Layer
B. Gallant Production Level
C. Gerand Porcine Logic
D. Gnu Public License
E. Gel Padded Lathe
58. In technology, API usually stands for
A. Application Programming Interface
B. Academic Performance Index
C. Acquisition Program Integration
D. Apple Learning Interchange
E. Arithmetic Polynomial Interpolation
59. How many bytes are in a gigabyte (GB)?
60. Where are user files stored locally in Windows XP Pro, with a clean install?
A. C:\Profiles\%Username%\My Documents
C. C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\My Documents
61. Where in Windows XP Pro do you find the name of a computer?
A. Right click on My Computer then select Properties then Computer Name
B. Right click on My Computer, select explore
C. Control Panel, Taskbar and Start Menu
D. Information Manager
62. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V is a fast keyboard way to cut and paste?
63. What does the red or blue mark on a flat ribbon cable signify?
A. The Master drive
B. The right-hand side
C. Pin 1
D. A SCSI connection cable
64.Which method should prove fastest for installing four workstations simultaneously?
D. USB key
65. Windows XP Pro does support which format
E. All of the Above