Basic Civil Engineering online quiz on “RCC, PSC and Ferro-Cement”.
1. R.C.C. can be classified into:
Clarification: Reinforced cement concrete can be of two types. It can either be pre-cast or be casted in-situ.
2. PSC stands for:
a) Post-Stressed Concrete
b) Post-Strained Concrete
c) Pre-Stressed Concrete
d) Pre-strained Concrete
Clarification: Pre-Stressed Concrete refers to the block of concrete which has been subjected to compression prior to supporting any loads.
3. __________ is used to construct very thin, hard and strong surface:
Clarification: Ferro-Cement is a system that reinforces mortar with metal (steel, iron bars). It is used for the construction of relatively thin structure like hull of boat, shell roofs, etc.
4. The compression in PSC is done by _________ of high-strength tendons.
Clarification: Tendons can be a single wire, mesh, threaded bars made from high tensile steels. The pre-stressing is done by tensioning tendons.
5. In an R.C.C structure, the tension zone lies in the:
Clarification: In the R.C.C. structure, there is a neutral axis in the middle, where no compression and tension is there. Layers above it are subjected to compression and the ones below it is subjected to tension.
6. R.C.C. was developed and first used by:
a) Joseph Monier
b) John Smeaton
c) Francois Coignet
d) Joseph Asphadin
Clarification: Joseph Monier founded ferro-cement. John Smeaton is considered the father of Civil Engineering. Joseph Asphdin founded Portland cement. Francois Coignet was a French industrialist and the first to use iron-reinforced concrete.
7. Which of the below structure doesn’t require PSC?
Clarification: Arches don’t require PSC. They are not under so much compression and loading. All other structures carry heavy loads and hence will be efficient if PSC is used.
8. How many methods of ferro cementing are there?
Clarification: The three methods are armature system, closed mould system and integrated mould system.
9. In which beam tension capacity of steel is greater than combined compression capacity of steel and concrete?
c) Singly reinforced
d) Doubly reinforced
Clarification: Over-reinforced beams have higher tension capacity. So, these beams fail by crushing of compression zone concrete, without any warning.
10. In a PSC, the tensioning system may be classified into:
Clarification: Tensioning can be mono-strand or multi-strand. In mono-strand, only one strand is tensioned at a time. In multi-strand, multiple strands are tensioned simultaneously.
11. Which of the below is not a property of ferro cement?
a) Impervious nature
b) Capacity to resist shock
c) No need of formwork
d) Strength per unit mass is low
Clarification: The ferro cement has reinforcement provided in mortar. It has a strength per unit mass higher than R.C.C. It has better tension resisting property.
all areas of Basic Civil Engineering for online Quizzes, .