Chemical Industry Multiple Choice Questions on “norganic Chemical – Sulfur”.
1. Which of the mentioned is the basic raw material for the production of sulfur?
Clarification: Sulfur is one of the basic raw materials for the production of sulfuric acid.
2. What is the atomic weight of sulfur approximately?
Clarification: The atomic weight of sulfur is approximately 32.
3. What is the melting point of Rhombic crystal sulfur?
a) 111.8 Celsius
b) 112.8 Celsius
c) 113.8 Celsius
d) 114.8 Celsius
Clarification: The melting point of Rhombic crystal sulfur is 112.8.
4. What are iron pyrites also know as?
a) Sulfides of iron
b) Silicates of Alumina
c) Aluminates of Magnesium
d) Sulfides of Calcium
Clarification: Iron pyrites has chemical formula FeS that is Sulfides of Iron.
5. What is the melting point of monoclinic crystals of sulfur?
a) 116 Celsius
b) 117 Celsius
c) 118 Celsius
d) 119 Celsius
Clarification: Melting point of the monoclinic sulfur crystals is 119 Celsius.
6. What is the chemical formula of Oleum?
Clarification: Chemical formula of Oleum is H2SO4 + SO3, which is H2S2O7.
7. To what size are the particles ground for an economic balance between heat transfer rate from combustion gases plus residence time?
a) 200 mesh
b) 100 mesh
c) 50 mesh
d) 18 mesh
Clarification: The particle size range of 200 mesh was found to be an economic balance between heat transfer rate from combustion gases plus residence time, as dictated by rate of fall of particles, tower height, and grinding costs.
8. In cold stage catalytic reaction which catalyst is used to catalyze H2S + SO2 to produce S6 vapor?
d) Aluminum oxide
Clarification: Aluminum oxide catalyzes the H2S + SO2 reaction to produce S6 vapor.
9. If the sulfur contains Arsenic which attacks the Vanadium or Platinum catalyst during contact process. Using which of the following can the Arsenic be removed.
a) Milk of lime
b) Milk of magnesia
d) Salts of Sodium
Clarification: Arsenic in the sulfur can be removed by contacting molten sulfur with milk of lime.
10. What percentage of SiO2 is present in Indian pyrite ore?
Clarification: Indian pyrite ore at Amjhore contains 5-7% of SiO2 and requires either floatation initially or extra limestone to flux out the silica.